History

The Goulburn Club was established in February 1877 and about 1883 moved to the present building located in Market St Goulburn.  The first building on the site was erected well before 1877 and the existing archway which adjoins the Club was constructed in 1847.

The Club was the original “establishment” or “gentleman’s club” in this area and has survived during changing times.  Membership was originally “by invitation” and very exclusive.  Today the Club operates as a valuable community resource and a hub for music performances and exhibitions of fine art.

A four-page booklet ‘History of the Goulburn Club’ was written in 1945 by Stuart H. Belcher, for distribution to members. It outlines the history of the Goulburn Club from its inception in 1877 up to 1939. The Belcher family had a long and close association with the Club, with Samuel H. Belcher being the foundation Secretary and then President for many years.

The booklet and a transcription are available for downloading:

GC History Belcher
GC History Belcher transcript